Thursday, June 3, 2010

How Exactly Are We Related?

I am about a month behind in posting about my summer, so I will try and tell you what I have been up to before I get to todays date.

A couple of days after arriving here I went to visit my Great Great Aunt Florence. I had met and visited with her the few times; traveling to see her as a child when I was vacationing. Although all the times I had seen her I never really got to sit and talk with her. So as others complained about having to go visit my ancient Aunt I was a little intrigued at what my experience with her might bring.

My first visit was one to be remembered. At the ripe old age of 91 Florence seemed to be a bit of a spit-fire, making jokes and being quite animated. One thing that will probably stick with me forever is her asking my Grandmother if she had received birthday bumps (although not the word she had used). She replied no, that she hadn't; Aunt Florence immediately replied "Well I guess you are to dignified to be getting them at 75!"

This visit had turned the prospect of visiting Aunt Florence from a chore to a bit of a treat. I felt that I might just have the opportunity to learn something from this women who had definitely experienced life. Heck the woman is 91 years old!

A couple of visits later and I have come to the realization that that first visit really was a treat. Florence has her good days and her bad; but it seems that every time I have gone to see her since it has landed on one of those bad days. The days of not remembering, of asking the same question multiple times, and complaining of her immobility.

It has been a bit of a lesson for me you could say, something that I have always known but rarely thought about. That is to be thankful for the relationships you have each and everyday because they may not be the same tomorrow or may not be there at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment